T.J. Voboril is a problem solver with considerable experience handling business, real estate, construction, homeowners’ association, and employment disputes on behalf of a wide variety of business entities, organizations, and individuals throughout Colorado. Mr. Voboril has successfully litigated in state and federal court and before arbitrators in addition to representing clients in mediation. T.J. was named to the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Stars lists for business litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Using his breadth of litigation and dispute resolution experience, T.J. frequently and capably advises his clients on a litany of transactional and business matters. He assists homeowners’ associations with navigating the tricky waters of governance, management, and collections. Mr. Voboril is also the owner of and mediator for Voice Of Reason Dispute Resolution. As a trained mediator (including Advanced Dispute Resolution certification), he recognizes that economic, relationship, and other factors may call for resolution of disputes short of litigation. However, when a client’s fortunes are on the line, T.J.’s focus is on prevailing at trial.
After graduating from Dartmouth College in 2002 with an A.B., cum laude, in Geography, T.J. received his law degree from the University Of Virginia School Of Law in 2005. He first practiced large-scale commercial and securities litigation at a sophisticated mid-size firm in Atlanta before moving to Colorado and serving as a litigator at a small and busy law firm in Vail. He then worked with two amazing lawyers at Thompson, Brownlee & Voboril, LLC before starting the full-service firm Reynolds, Kalamaya & Voboril, LLC. After four years watching RKV Law grow, it was time to get back to basics with his partner and friend Dan Reynolds. Thus, the birth of Alpenglow Law.
T.J. is a doting father to his daughter Violet and best friends with his wife Lauren. He is obsessed with skiing, loves riding his mountain bike, and valiantly tries not to catch himself while fly fishing on the local rivers. When not spending time with his family, practicing law, or recreating, Voboril engages in philanthropic endeavors through the Edwards Rotary Club and the Eagle Valley Land Trust and devotes pro bono time to legal and mediation work with Northwest Colorado Legal Services and the Eagle County Small Claims Court. T.J. is also an avid traveler and spent his honeymoon backpacking around the world for a year. A blog chronicling his honeymoon adventure to 18 countries can be found here.
For more insight into T.J. and his legal mind, please see his bimonthly Open Bar column published in the Vail Daily. The intent of Open Bar is to demystify the legal system and provide a young and fresh insight into the practice of law. T.J. has also been a commentator and guest on local radio and television, sharing his perspectives on matters of importance to the community.
Practice Area – Dispute Resolution:
- Business Litigation
- Counsel to businesses, organizations, and individuals on risk mitigation and dispute avoidance
- HOA Litigation
- HOA General Counsel
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Construction Litigation (on behalf of homeowners and construction professionals)
- Employment Litigation
- General Civil Litigation
- Dartmouth College, A.B. in Geography with a Government minor, cum laude – 2002
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D. – 2005
- 40-Hour Mediation Training – by Judy Mares-Dixon – Completed July 2012
- Advanced Dispute Resolution Training – by Judy Mares-Dixon – Completed October 2015
- Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Star for Business Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Martindale-Hubble Client Champion Award – 2019
- Martindale-Hubble Client Distinction Award
- Colorado Supreme Court Pro Bono Award
- Avvo Rating – 9.9
- Google 5-Star Rating
- Sifton v. Stewart Title Guaranty Company, 259 P.3d 542 (Colo. App. 2011): As sole advocate and litigator, secured the Colorado Court of Appeals’ affirmation of a successful defense of a national title insurance company against claims brought by property owner under the Colorado Spurious Lien And Document Statute as to validity of deeds of trust fraudulently propounded by owner’s son.
- Successfully mediated a general contractor/homeowner litigation matter brought in Eagle County District Court.
- Ongoing or intermittent representation of over 30 residential, commercial, and mixed-use homeowners’ associations ranging in size from 800+ owners to triplexes. Representation includes general counsel role as to governance, management, and owner relations and as an advocate in litigation and collections matters.
- Representation of homeowners against homeowners’ associations in covenant enforcement, breach of Declaration/fiduciary duty, and other disputes and litigation.
- Representation of homeowners in trespass, nuisance, and other boundary-line disputes and litigation.
- Representation of businesses in B2B and customer payment disputes, including in the construction field.
- Representation of employees in employment contract and non-competition/non-solicitation conflicts and litigation.
- Representation of businesses and persons in lease and other tenancy disputes.
- Representation of real estate brokers in broker-broker and broker-client disputes.
- Representation of homeowners in disputes with real estate brokers.
- Counseling businesses, organizations, and persons in conflict avoidance and resolution.
- On behalf of a health care provider, gained affirmation by the Colorado Court of Appeals of a decision of the Industrial Claims Appeals Office disqualifying the former C.E.O. from unemployment benefits.
- On behalf of a commercial real estate owner, defeated Rule 120 motion by foreclosing lender despite owner’s default by successfully arguing that subject deeds of trust did not contain required power of sale.
- Negotiated and secured favorable settlements for construction contractors in several large-scale state district court mechanic’s lien and construction defect actions.
- Negotiated and secured a favorable settlement for a luxury hotel in an action brought in federal court by a former employee under the Colorado Wage Act and Fair Labor Standards Act concerning payment of overtime compensation.
- Negotiated and secured favorable settlement payment of almost entire loss for plaintiff homeowners in construction defect action.
- Represented taxpayers in conservation easement tax credit appeal.
- Represented financial institutions in public trustee foreclosures of deeds of trust.
- Obtained summary judgment and a permanent injunction in ERISA litigation in federal district court on behalf of multi-employer Taft-Hartley fringe benefit funds.
- Second chair in NYSE arbitration for successful defense of regional broker-dealer against multi-million dollar customer claim.
- Represented more than 20 multi-employer Taft-Hartley fringe benefit funds as litigation advisor and as advocate in ERISA litigation in federal court and in matters before the Georgia State Board of Workers’ Compensation
- Represented environmental remediation company in multi-million dollar federal court action involving allegations stemming from the company’s acquisition of plaintiff’s business pursuant to an asset purchase agreement.
- Represented national banking association in two separate state court actions in defense of claims of premises liability, negligence per se, failure to warn, and malicious prosecution.
- Represented minority shareholder in state court in direct action against majority shareholder of Waffle House franchisee.
- Edwards Rotary Club
- Communications Chair – 2018-present
- Immediate Past President – 2017-2018
- President – 2016-2017
- Sergeant-at-Arms – 2012-2016
- Eagle Valley Land Trust
- Board of Directors – 2014-present
- Vice President – 2016-2018
- Colorado Continuing Legal Education
- Mediation Skills Coach
- Vail Valley Partnership
- Young Professionals Power Group Facilitator – 2018
- Eagle County Small Claims Court
- Volunteer Mediator
- Vail Valley Young Professionals Association
- Dartmouth Lawyers’ Association
- Continental Divide Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Open Bar Column in Vail Daily
- Has written a bi-monthly legal column every other week since October 2012
- Northwest Colorado Small Business Development Center/Leeds School of Business
- Panelist on Entrepreneurship – September 2018
- Presentation on Mechanic’s Liens and Collections For Small Business Owners
T.J. Voboril Reviews
Submit your review
T.J. listened fully to my issue, suggested several different avenues to resolution, and when I let him know how I wanted to proceed was very quick and respected my needs and point of view. Fortunately, the issue was resolved with a letter followed by a written agreement. T.J. thinks about what he is doing, he's not just following some "recipe." I will be eternally grateful for his professionalism and attention to my individual needs. If I find myself in need of legal help in the future, T.J. will be my first call.
We hired T.J. Voboril to represent us against our HOA when they refused to approve our paint colors, which were within the guidelines. Our HOA has a tendency to approve colors based on their personal opinion rather than what is stated in the guidelines. Mr. Voboril wrote them a strong letter which resulted in them amending their vote and approving our colors. He took care of a very stressful situation within a very short time. Will use him again in the future if needed.
T.J. got us out of a bind we never imagined could happen to us. Throughout the process, he frequently communicated and was open and honest about our options. I highly recommend his services for anyone involved in an issue involving real estate.
I contacted T.J. for guidance on a landlord/tenant matter. He was prompt in responding to my questions and attentive in providing me information pertinent to my dilemma. T.J. utilized time wisely and was great to communicate with. He helped me through what was an otherwise daunting process and I couldn't be more thankful.
Dan and T.J. of Alpenglow Law have been a good resource for the Homestead Owners’ Association in recent years. When questions or issues arise in the course of managing our community of over 800 residences, T.J. and Dan are always quick to respond and give the matter the attention that it needs. They have handled covenant enforcement, document interpretation, homeowner disputes, collection actions, and litigation for us, among other things. Their knowledge of this community and the unique dynamics of an HOA have proved valuable to Homestead and we appreciate their expertise.
TJ's distinguished law firm is quite simply, lawyers with a heart. After relocating thousands of miles away, my husband and I moved into a toxic house, seriously affecting our family's health. The property management company was grossly irresponsible and downright abusive. TJ was compassionate, reassuring, and made it his mission to expedite breaking our lease and the return of our deposits, for us to secure a new home. He has an unwavering work ethic and even took our call on NY Eve! TJ always had our backs and protected our best interests as if they were his own Forever grateful.
TJ and the team at RKV have excellent communication standards, ultimately helping to limit the stress and unknowns of a legal matter. TJ's honesty, sincerity and strong sense of empathy also play a big role in handling the stressful situations of settlement negotiations.
A business is only as good as its employees. The same is true for Law Firms. The attorneys at Reynolds, Kalamaya & Voboril handled our breach of contract case superbly. I found RKV law, specifically TJ Voboril, through the luck of Internet search. Even before taking my case TJ analyzed the case thoroughly. My case had been mishandled by two previous law firms and was subjected to rulings and financial judgements against my wife and I. The outlook was not promising until TJ Voboril agreed to take our case. A thorough review of the details determined that our previous attorneys approached the case from the wrong perspective. The case and the opposing parties were difficult deal with at every juncture. The opposing attorneys threatened my wife and I with financial ruin and attempted to intimidate us at every juncture. The filings of the opposing parties held no legal or factual merit. TJ’s filings were based on solid legal facts and issues surrounding our case. We quickly found ourselves with a strong legal position because of TJ's approach. Our case was eventually settled because TJ understood the legal issues and was able to turn around our case with a very positive outcome.
T.J. was very easy to work with. Was professional and personable. Weighed all information carefully and gave good advice.