T.J. Voboril is a problem solver with considerable experience handling business, real estate, construction, homeowners’ association, and employment disputes on behalf of a wide variety of business entities, organizations, and individuals throughout Colorado. Mr. Voboril has successfully litigated in state and federal court and before arbitrators in addition to representing clients in mediation. T.J. was named to the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Stars lists for business litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Using his breadth of litigation and dispute resolution experience, T.J. frequently and capably advises his clients on a litany of transactional and business matters. He assists homeowners’ associations with navigating the tricky waters of governance, management, and collections. Mr. Voboril is also the owner of and mediator for Voice Of Reason Dispute Resolution. As a trained mediator (including Advanced Dispute Resolution certification), he recognizes that economic, relationship, and other factors may call for resolution of disputes short of litigation. However, when a client’s fortunes are on the line, T.J.’s focus is on prevailing at trial.
After graduating from Dartmouth College in 2002 with an A.B., cum laude, in Geography, T.J. received his law degree from the University Of Virginia School Of Law in 2005. He first practiced large-scale commercial and securities litigation at a sophisticated mid-size firm in Atlanta before moving to Colorado and serving as a litigator at a small and busy law firm in Vail. He then worked with two amazing lawyers at Thompson, Brownlee & Voboril, LLC before starting the full-service firm Reynolds, Kalamaya & Voboril, LLC. After four years watching RKV Law grow, it was time to get back to basics with his partner and friend Dan Reynolds. Thus, the birth of Alpenglow Law.
T.J. is a doting father to his daughter Violet. He is obsessed with skiing, loves riding his mountain bike, and meanders local lakes and rivers on his paddleboard. When not spending time with his family, practicing law, or recreating, Voboril engages in philanthropic endeavors through the Eagle Valley Land Trust and devotes pro bono time to legal and mediation work. T.J. is also an avid traveler, having journeyed to more than 40 countries on every continent, save Antarctica.
For more insight into T.J. and his legal mind, please see his bimonthly Open Bar column published in the Vail Daily. The intent of Open Bar is to demystify the legal system and provide a young and fresh insight into the practice of law. T.J. has also been a commentator and guest on local radio and television, sharing his perspectives on matters of importance to the community.
Practice Area – Dispute Resolution:
- Business Litigation
- Counsel to businesses, organizations, and individuals on risk mitigation and dispute avoidance
- HOA Litigation
- HOA General Counsel
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Construction Litigation (on behalf of homeowners and construction professionals)
- Employment Litigation
- General Civil Litigation
- Dartmouth College, A.B. in Geography with a Government minor, cum laude – 2002
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D. – 2005
- 40-Hour Mediation Training – by Judy Mares-Dixon – Completed July 2012
- Advanced Dispute Resolution Training – by Judy Mares-Dixon – Completed October 2015
- Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Star for Business Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion Award – 2019-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award – 2016, 2017, and 2018
- Colorado Supreme Court Pro Bono Award
- Avvo Rating – 10.0
- Google 5-Star Rating
- Sifton v. Stewart Title Guaranty Company, 259 P.3d 542 (Colo. App. 2011): As sole advocate and litigator, secured the Colorado Court of Appeals’ affirmation of a successful defense of a national title insurance company against claims brought by property owner under the Colorado Spurious Lien And Document Statute as to validity of deeds of trust fraudulently propounded by owner’s son.
- Successfully mediated a dispute between a seller and purchaser of real property related to alleged failures to disclose defects, which case was brought in Eagle County District Court.
- Successfully mediated a business partnership dispute matter brought in Eagle County District Court.
- Obtained large judgment in favor of homeowner in litigation matter brought against contractor in Eagle County District Court.
- Successfully mediated a general contractor/homeowner litigation matter brought in Eagle County District Court.
- Expert witness for defendant in homeowners’ association covenant enforcement lawsuit as to the reasonableness of HOA’s enforcement procedures.
- Expert witness for plaintiff in homeowners’ association collection litigation as to reasonableness of attorneys’ fees.
- Ongoing or intermittent representation of over 50 residential, commercial, and mixed-use homeowners’ associations ranging in size from 800+ owners to triplexes. Representation includes general counsel role as to governance, management, and owner relations and as an advocate in litigation and collections matters.
- Mediation of an employer/employee and civil theft litigation matter brought in Eagle County Court.
- Representation of homeowners against homeowners’ associations in covenant enforcement, breach of Declaration/fiduciary duty, and other disputes and litigation.
- Representation of homeowners in trespass, nuisance, and other boundary-line disputes and litigation.
- Representation of businesses in B2B and customer payment disputes, including in the construction field.
- Representation of employees in employment contract and non-competition/non-solicitation conflicts and litigation.
- Representation of businesses and persons in lease and other tenancy disputes.
- Representation of real estate brokers in broker-broker and broker-client disputes.
- Representation of homeowners in disputes with real estate brokers.
- Counseling businesses, organizations, and persons in conflict avoidance and resolution.
- On behalf of a health care provider, gained affirmation by the Colorado Court of Appeals of a decision of the Industrial Claims Appeals Office disqualifying the former C.E.O. from unemployment benefits.
- On behalf of a commercial real estate owner, defeated Rule 120 motion by foreclosing lender despite owner’s default by successfully arguing that subject deeds of trust did not contain required power of sale.
- Negotiated and secured favorable settlements for construction contractors in several large-scale state district court mechanic’s lien and construction defect actions.
- Negotiated and secured a favorable settlement for a luxury hotel in an action brought in federal court by a former employee under the Colorado Wage Act and Fair Labor Standards Act concerning payment of overtime compensation.
- Negotiated and secured favorable settlement payment of almost entire loss for plaintiff homeowners in construction defect action.
- Represented taxpayers in conservation easement tax credit appeal.
- Represented financial institutions in public trustee foreclosures of deeds of trust.
- Obtained summary judgment and a permanent injunction in ERISA litigation in federal district court on behalf of multi-employer Taft-Hartley fringe benefit funds.
- Second chair in NYSE arbitration for successful defense of regional broker-dealer against multi-million dollar customer claim.
- Represented more than 20 multi-employer Taft-Hartley fringe benefit funds as litigation advisor and as advocate in ERISA litigation in federal court and in matters before the Georgia State Board of Workers’ Compensation
- Represented environmental remediation company in multi-million dollar federal court action involving allegations stemming from the company’s acquisition of plaintiff’s business pursuant to an asset purchase agreement.
- Represented national banking association in two separate state court actions in defense of claims of premises liability, negligence per se, failure to warn, and malicious prosecution.
- Represented minority shareholder in state court in direct action against majority shareholder of Waffle House franchisee.
- Edwards Rotary Club
- Communications Chair – 2018-present
- Immediate Past President – 2017-2018
- President – 2016-2017
- Sergeant-at-Arms – 2012-2016
- Eagle Valley Land Trust
- Board of Directors – 2014-present
- Vice President – 2016-2018
- Colorado Continuing Legal Education
- Mediation Skills Coach
- Vail Valley Partnership
- Young Professionals Power Group Facilitator – 2018
- Eagle County Small Claims Court
- Volunteer Mediator
- Vail Valley Young Professionals Association
- Dartmouth Lawyers’ Association
- Continental Divide Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Open Bar Column in Vail Daily
- Has written a bi-monthly legal column every other week since October 2012
- Northwest Colorado Small Business Development Center/Leeds School of Business
- Panelist on Entrepreneurship – September 2018
- Presentation on Mechanic’s Liens and Collections For Small Business Owners
T.J. Voboril Reviews
Submit your review
I cannot say enough good things about Alpenglow Law. T.J. was extremely helpful and responsive, I would highly recommend T.J. to anyone.
T.J. is talented, approachable, and efficient. As evidenced by his regular column in the Vail Daily, he is a gifted writer. He understands the demands for the New Economy, and looks for creative solutions to each case. If you're looking for a rising star in the Vail Valley, T.J. should be at the top of your list.
Professional work and a favorable outcome, thanks TJ!
T.J. was recommended to me and does not usually take cases like mine. But he did and I have been fortunate to have been working with him for nearly two years. T.J. was all about a solution, and advised me in ways that have informed my decisions for the future. He not only helped me with the two situations I needed legal help with, but has likely helped me avoid needing legal help in certain ways in the future.
We hired T.J. to help us establish an HOA. He was very generous with his time in answering all the questions that the various homeowners had. He helped us work through some issues that were creating discord among some of the homeowners. We appreciate his professionalism and his attention to our needs.
T.J. listened fully to my issue, suggested several different avenues to resolution, and when I let him know how I wanted to proceed was very quick and respected my needs and point of view. Fortunately, the issue was resolved with a letter followed by a written agreement. T.J. thinks about what he is doing, he's not just following some "recipe." I will be eternally grateful for his professionalism and attention to my individual needs. If I find myself in need of legal help in the future, T.J. will be my first call.
We hired T.J. Voboril to represent us against our HOA when they refused to approve our paint colors, which were within the guidelines. Our HOA has a tendency to approve colors based on their personal opinion rather than what is stated in the guidelines. Mr. Voboril wrote them a strong letter which resulted in them amending their vote and approving our colors. He took care of a very stressful situation within a very short time. Will use him again in the future if needed.
T.J. got us out of a bind we never imagined could happen to us. Throughout the process, he frequently communicated and was open and honest about our options. I highly recommend his services for anyone involved in an issue involving real estate.
I contacted T.J. for guidance on a landlord/tenant matter. He was prompt in responding to my questions and attentive in providing me information pertinent to my dilemma. T.J. utilized time wisely and was great to communicate with. He helped me through what was an otherwise daunting process and I couldn't be more thankful.
Dan and T.J. of Alpenglow Law have been a good resource for the Homestead Owners’ Association in recent years. When questions or issues arise in the course of managing our community of over 800 residences, T.J. and Dan are always quick to respond and give the matter the attention that it needs. They have handled covenant enforcement, document interpretation, homeowner disputes, collection actions, and litigation for us, among other things. Their knowledge of this community and the unique dynamics of an HOA have proved valuable to Homestead and we appreciate their expertise.